Four A&S Faculty are Finalists for Sarah Bennett Holmes Award
By Lisa Lockman and Kristie Law
The UK Women's Forum, formally established during the 1991-1992 academic year, is currently celebrating over 25 years of open discussion, creativity, and leadership development for all women employed at the University of Kentucky. Women's Forum is also celebrating the 17 women who have been nominated for the 2017 Sarah Bennett Holmes Award — an award created by UK Women's Forum.
Established in 1994, the Sarah Bennett Holmes Award honors a distinguished former dean of women at the University of Kentucky. Sarah Bennett Holmes, who was widowed at a young age, raised four children while completing her own education. She went on to have a successful career at UK where she inspired young women to persevere in the face of hardship and pursue their career goals. Among her accomplishments, Holmes developed work programs for women during the Depression.
Now in its 24th year, the award is granted annually to women working at UK who promote the growth and well-being of other women at the university and across the Commonwealth. Two awards will be presented — one to a faculty member and one to a staff member.
The Sarah Bennett Holmes Award ceremony and luncheon are open to the UK campus community. The luncheon begins at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, March 23, at the Woodford Reserve Club room in Commonwealth Stadium. The Woodford Reserve Club is accessible between gates 10 and 11 in the blue lot. Cost is $15.00 per individual, or departments/offices can purchase a table of 8 for $120.00. Visit http://www.uky.edu/womensforum/sbhal.html to register and pay for your ticket. The registration deadline is March 13, 2017.
The 2017 Sarah Bennett Holmes Award nominees are:
- Kalea Benner, College of Social Work
- Sabine Brouxhon, College of Medicine, Surgery
- Christia Brown, College of Arts & Sciences, Psychology
- Heather Bush, College of Public Health, Biostatistics
- Ann Coker, College of Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Renee Fatemi, College of Arts & Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Diane Follingstad, Center for Research on Violence Against Women
- Beth Guiton, College of Arts & Sciences, Chemistry
- Kay Hoffman, College of Social Work
- Janet Lumpp, College of Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Claire Renzetti, College of Arts & Sciences, Sociology
- Ann Freytag, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Plant and Soil Sciences
- Sarah Heck, UK Healthcare, CMO/Joint Pediatric Heart Care Program
- Barbara Ramlow, College of Medicine, Center on Drug and Alcohol Research
- Ashley Rouster, Violence Intervention and Prevention Center
- Kimberly Sayre, College of Engineering
- Marilyn Underwood, College of Public Health, Student Affairs
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue