Requests for funding to be submitted to an external sponsor are reviewed in advance by the relevant department chair(s); the dean(s) of the relevant college(s) and/or institute director(s), or their designees; and the Office of Sponsored Programs Administration (OSPA). The scholarly judgement of the Principal Investigator (PI) is not reviewed and political criteria are not considered.
Review by the Department Chair involves the following considerations:
- Availability and equitable allocation of space and facilities among faculty members and students in the department;
- Commitments, whether explicit or implied, on the unrestricted funds available to the department;
- Commitments of personnel (faculty, student, or staff) that are inconsistent with departmental resources or with the general practices of the University.
Factors pertinent to review at the College and Institute level include:
- Aspects at variance with generally accepted academic practice, legal or ethical issues, potential conflicts of interest, etc.;
- Commitment of faculty or University resources, including cost sharing or other similar arrangements, as well as the use of the University of Kentucky name.
Proposal review by OSPA verifies the inclusion in the budget of all costs legitimately chargeable to the project, such as fringe benefits, indirect costs, computer time, etc. as well as verifying compliance with University and sponsor policy. Additionally, OSPA warrants that the legal and fiscal interests of the University are protected, and that detailed contract provisions involving patents and copyrights, restrictions on publication or other sharing of data or research results, external control over hiring practices. OSPA also coordinates with the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) to be sure they are apprised of projects requiring review and approval of work involving animal subjects, human subjects, or biohazardous materials.
Since the review process often involves consultation among University offices, the sponsor, and the PI, completed proposals should be submitted to OSP for approval a minimum of THREE (3) business days before they are due to the agency.
Who to Contact:
College Grant Officers are responsible for reviewing ALL proposals prior to submission to ensure compliance with both University of Kentucky and sponsoring agency policies.