Skip to main content

Faculty & Staff Resources

Phased Retirement

Phased Retirement Overview:

Phased retirement requires Board of Trustees’ approval, therefore the formal request should be submitted six months in advance of the start date. See AR 3:2 and HR procedures. Please note, (per AR 3:2), phased retirement appointments may only be granted when such appointments are in the best interests of the university. Phased retirement proposals may not exceed three years and/or .80 FTE. Furthermore, according to the Provost's memo regarding faculty performance review, educational unit administrators must take steps to ensure that individuals on phased retirement are meeting or exceeding their unit's performance in their areas of assignment.


Phased Retirement Procedures:

  • The faculty member should verify with a retirement officer in the Employee Benefits Office that they are eligible for phased retirement.
  • The faculty member should consult their Department Chair (and Unit Director, if appropriate) regarding phased retirement interest and intent.
  • Faculty member completes the first page of the phased retirement agreement and verifies with a retirement officer in the Employee Benefits Office that he or she is eligible for phased retirement.  The “service check” can be accomplished by calling 257-9519, option 3.A
  • The Faculty member should provide the Department Chair/Unit Director with a formal written phased retirement request (cover letter, completed HR Form, and Exhibit A [example of a completed exhibit A] which should include a detailed outline of the teaching, research, and service assignments to be fulfilled during the phased retirement period and the agreed upon DOE).
  • The Department Chair should submit the request for phased retirement to the Associate Dean for Faculty for further approval.
  • A UK Retirement Officer signs the first page of the Phased Retirement Agreement, verifying eligibility, and sends the form back to faculty member and appropriate department administrator.