IS Japan Studies
In the Department of Modern and Classical Languages, Literatures and Cultures (MCL), Japan Studies Offers:
- 4 years of Japanese language instruction, from the beginning to the advanced level;
- A range of modern and pre-modern Japanese cultural and literary studies courses in English;
- Study abroad opportunities in Japan; and
- A major in Japanese Studies Language and Literature.
In addition, in collaboration with faculty members in the interdisciplinary Japan studies program, we offer courses in Japanese geography, history, arts, sociology, environmental studies, and anthropology. With these courses, students are able to receive:
- A minor in Japan Studies; and/or
- A major in International Studies with the TAC (Thematic and Area Concentration) option or with the FLIE (Foreign Languages and International Economics) option.
Where can Japan studies take me?
By studying Japanese language, literature, and culture at MCL, students will obtain a solid base to advance their explorations of Japan, scholarly or otherwise. Indeed, UK graduates studying with us:
- Have gone on to graduate work in law, geography, finance, and Asian/Japanese studies;
- Have joined the “Teaching English in Japan” (JET) program, sponsored by the Japanese government; and
- Have entered Japanese companies in the U.S. and Japan.
Join us to explore Japan, and broaden your horizons as a global citizen of the 21st century!
For more information, contact:
Professor Marro Inoue, Director
Phone: (859) 257-7024
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Professor Doug Slaymaker
Phone: (859) 257-7557
E-mail: email@example.com or
Professor Takako Egi
Phone: (859) 257-6035